The Indian Green Building Council one of the premier Green Building Certifying body was established in 2001 as a part of CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) with a vision “To enable a sustainable built environment for all and facilitate India to be one of the global leaders in the sustainable built environment by 2025” .
Hinduism enshrines five elements i.e Prithvi (Earth), Jal (Water),Agni (Fire), Vayu (Air) and Akash (Sky) known as Pancha Maha Butha’s as the basis of creation of mankind . These five elements form the foundation of Green Building design.
|Element||Green Founding Philosophy|
|Jal (Water)||Water efficiency|
|Agni(Fire)||Energy and Atmosphere|
|Vayu(Air)||Indoor air quality|
|Akash(Sky)||Daylight , Night sky pollution|
Green homes primarily protect the environment by
- Reducing the use of natural resources eg. timber
- Promoting use of renewable energy eg. Solar heating and lighting
- Use of waste materials eg fly ash based bricks and concrete, treated waste water for gardening
- Increased planting to trees and greenery to improve air quality
- Encourage use of non fossil based transport eg:- Electric cars, Bicycle
- Efficient design which increase natural light inside the house
- Well designed ventilation which reduces air-conditioning requirements
They also are designed to deliver monetary savings to the users. The baseline savings derived from a Green home are
- 20% reduction in energy consumption
- 30% reduction in water consumption
We in Citrus Ventures have launched a premium villa development CASA GREENS in Sarjapura, Bangalore which will be certified as a green home in accordance with IGBC norms.